Liverpool legend-turned-pundit Jamie Carragher believes Rafa Benitez is unlikely to remain in-charge at Newcastle United for a lengthy period of time.
The Spanish manager took over the managerial reigns in the final months of the 2015/16 campaign but was unable to keep them in the Premier League.
Despite this, he penned a fresh three-year contract with the Tyneside outfit with owner Mike Ashley assuring him that he would spend every penny from his pocket to rebuild the squad. The Magpies have since returned to the top-flight via their 2016/17 Championship winning campaign, but there are still uncertainties over Benitez’s stay at St. James’ Park.
Speaking to Sky Sports on Monday Night Football, Carragher said: “If I’m being totally honest, I don’t expect to see Rafa Benitez at Newcastle over a sustained, long period of time. I think eventually something will happen with him and the owner and unfortunately for Newcastle this is not going to be a happy and long marrige. So enjoy it while he’s here.”
Benitez and Ashley are said to have developed a strained relationship in recent months after the Spaniard felt he was not supported enough in the transfer market. The Magpies could not negotiate deals for their preferred targets during the summer transfer window, and this appears to have frustrated the former Liverpool boss. Continue reading Jamie Carragher believes Rafa Benitez will leave Newcastle United soon
Newcastle United striker Joselu has got fond of the club’s supporters following his £5m move from Stoke City earlier last month.
The former Real Madrid graduate made an instant impact on his home debut last month after he found the scoresheet in the 3-0 win over West Ham United. As a result, the Magpies registered their first points on their top-flight return, and this has eased the pressure on Rafael Benitez, who endured a tough summer transfer window.
Joselu received a standing ovation after being substituted in the Hammers’ triumph last month, and speaking to The Chronicle, he compared the fans to those who supported him at the Bernabeu, he said: “Yes it reminds me of Madrid. All the people in the street in Newcastle love their team too. They love it that we are in the Premier League. It’s a big club, big city, and a big stadium. We have the big players as well so we must do well.”
Following the international break, the Magpies take on Swansea City in the Premier League, and Joselu is likely to find himself leading the line once again due to a suspension for Aleksandar Mitrovic. Newcastle could not get all the transfer targets over the line during the transfer window, but Joselu has urged his teammate to push on after a convincing victory over the Hammers. Continue reading Joselu likens North East fans to Real Madrid supporters
Newly promoted Premier League side Newcastle United are positive about signing Chelsea and Brazilian youngster Kenedy as one of the couple of squad additions manager Rafa Benitez would so much love to have as he prepares to make sure the Toffees avoid the needless relegation they spent the immediate past season negotiating.
Kenedy joined the Blues
from Brazilian outfit Fluminense two years ago and was billed to follow the steps of his countrymen – Ramires and Oscar – even if he plays in a very distinct position – left back – from the duo.
Unfortunately for the 21-year old in the age of internet first, reason later, a slack moment in judgment pushed the Brazilian’s hand to post an Instagram video purportedly deemed to be grossly inappropriate in China. This was during the Blues pre-season Oriental tour.
His follow-up matching orders from the club’s hierarchy itself showed how serious his nonchalance was while Chelsea’s subsequent statement where they particularly pointed out that his behavior “does not represent the entire team and does not align with the club’s high expectations and strict requirements,” reeked of a distancing standpoint a father gives to any of his child unfortunate enough to soil the name of a great House. Continue reading NEWCASTLE OFFER KENEDY REDEMPTION
Netherlands international Siem de Jong is determined to prove his worth to Newcastle United in pre-season, the player’s representative has revealed.
The 28-year-old joined the Magpies from Ajax back in the summer of 2014 with a view to making himself a regular with a settled Premier League club.
However, his time at Tyneside was shrouded by numerous injuries, and this saw him restricted to just 26 appearances over two seasons with the Magpies being relegated to the second tier of English football.
De Jong was loaned to Dutch club PSV Eindhoven for the previous campaign where he notched six goals in 26 outings, but he is still hopeful of making an impression under Rafael Benitez. The Dutchman claimed last season that his future would be dependent on the Magpies’ Premier League promotion, and now, that they are back in the top-flight, he is prepared to take his chances. Continue reading Siem de Jong determined to prove himself at Newcastle United – agent
Alan shearer once decided to choose Blackburn and Newcastle over the likes of Manchester United and he still went on to establish his name as one of the finest goal scorers in the history of the Premier League.
The English man remains one of the very few professionals who had it in them to swagger up no matter what team they found themselves in. to such players talk of acclimatization often seems alien to them.
Although the Red Devils didn’t get their longed jewel, they did enjoy of fair share of a player like him in the person of Eric Catona. The French man arrived from Leeds United to oversee the earliest success of Sir Alex Fergusons fledglings.
Not even Ferguson who never appreciated the show biz side of his wards could put a lid on the French man’s extrovert tendencies. Kicking a fan that led to the lengthy ban of the player who stubbornly insisted in enjoying his time on the pitch with raised collars couldn’t step down the fondness with which the Theatre of Dreams walls still have for him till this day.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is obviously another player cut from the cloth of footballers who are bold enough to wear their ego on their sleeves. Even the earliest of his interviews as a mesmerizing Norseman-like striker has him on tape saying he doesn’t see himself as an ordinary man Continue reading ZLATAN GAVE UNITED GOALS PLUS SWAGGER
There are reports that newly promoted club Newcastle United could be sold to Chinese investors as current owner Mike Ashley listens to interests.
A Chinese consortium is already looking at acquiring the club so a possible takeover of the Magpies
is not so far away.
The deal could be structured in different ways. The management might remain if the club offers shares for sale in order to keep everything balanced. For now the club are not responding to allegations of a takeover bid. The club used to quickly knock down such rumours but it is now ‘no comment.’
The Chroniclesays the right price would be key if Ashley is to sell the club. Sky Sports says there is a Chinese consortium already available as Ashley considers his options. He bought the club back in 2007 for £134 million. He has given the club interest free loans a few times to help offset shortfalls. Continue reading CHINESE INVESTORS KEEN ON BUYING NEWCASTLE UNITED
Premier League new boys Newcastle United who were relegated last year but won the Championship and earned promotion right back, are leading the chase for Portguese defender Ruben Semedo, according to Sky Sports.
League rivals West Ham United, West Brom and Southampton are also keen on signing the centre back but the Magpies
are offered £10 million for the U-21 star. Sporting Lisbon, the player’s employers, want around £13 million but Newcastle remain confident they can close the deal.
Portuguese news sources claim a deal has been agreed with the Premier League side but Sky Sports says the agent of the player in question CatioBalde has denied it firmly. Semedo’s release clause is £40 million but the eventual transfer fee would be far off the mark.
Semedo is believed to want the move to England. He wants the deal done and settled ahead of the UEFA European U-21 Championship which is poised for Poland in June. The 23-year old only signed a new deal with Sporting three months ago after an impressive run. The defender played 30 games in all competitions, with six being in the Champions League. Continue reading NEWCASTLE UNITED WANT SEMEDO
The latest winners of the English Championship title are set to play in the top tier again at the start of the new season in August.
Can they succeed in staying afloat this time? They showed a rare resilience in the Championship this year and it is enviable but can the team and its manager take this fire to the unpredictable Premier League?
Since 1992/93, only a handful of clubs have done what the Magpies did. When Premier League clubs go down a tier, they mostly stay afloat in their first year but they stay outside of the top seven usually. Only Burnley won automatic promotion back up in its first attempt. Continue reading CAN NEWCASTLE FARE WELL IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE?
The English League Championship is reaching it’s end and Newcastle United appears to be on their way of securing the 2nd spot of the English competition.
It’s rumored that the head coach Rafael Benitez is already looking beyond the current season and thinking about how he can strengthen his squad and prepare for the very possible promotion to the Premier League.
Competing in the English Premier League is certainly not something new for Newcastle United as they were competing in the top tier league during the season of 2015-16 but were relegated after having to settle with the 18th spot.
In order to strengthen his squad and avoid another relegation from the Premier League, Rafael Benitez is looking around the football market for possible signings that could arrive to Newcastle United during the approaching summer transfer window and Harry Maguire of Hull City is turning into a candidate. Continue reading Hull City’s Harry Maguire is being linked with Newcastle United
Former manager of Newcastle United Graeme Souness has declared his support for current manager Rafa Benitez and has asked for him to be backed ahead of the club’s promotion bid.
Souness advised that Championship sides focus on investments in the team after they earn promotion to the top flight.
Souness said all the stakeholders know that a major investment would be required when they regain Premier League status but added that the relationship of Benitez and Mike Ashley would be tested when it comes to time to invest in talents during the transfer window.
Souness said it would be “very difficult next season” if the club does not commit to getting new players.
“You can only speculate [how much money will be made available to spend] and the manager’s relationship with the owner will come out in the wash this summer,” the ex-United manager said Continue reading SOUNESS BACKS BENITEZ TO SUCCEED