Rafa Benitez Keen to Sign a Striker

Rafa Benitez says that he is looking to sign at least three players before the end of the campaign. The manager is of the opinion that a striker is of a priority for the club. Newcastle were unable to get their primary target – Alassane Plea – after Nice decided to sell him for Borussia Mönchengladbach on Friday. The 25-year-old was subjected to a great amount of interest from Newcastle, who made a £20 million offer for the striker. However, Mönchengladbach were able to improve on this offer and signed the player for a fee of £ 22 million.

As a result, there is a good chance that Newcastle may switch their attention to Salomon Rondon of West Brom. The striker is an experienced Premier League campaign and he is also quite keen on leaving West Brom in order to play in the top leagues. The striker has a £ 16.5 million clause to release him from the contract and if Newcastle are unable to sign the other transfer targets they may switch their attention to Rondon. After a reasonably comfortable 2017-18 campaign, Newcastle will be anxious in order to finish in the top half of the table and even for qualification to the Europa League.
Continue reading Rafa Benitez Keen to Sign a Striker

Newcastle United re-sign Kenedy on loan

Newcastle United have confirmed the re-signing of Kenedy from Chelsea on a season-long loan deal. The Brazilian attacker impressed during a temporary stint with the Magpies in the backend of last season and he has now been offered another opportunity to impress under Rafael Benitez at the Tyneside outfit.

 

“I am so happy with this interest from Rafa Benitez that he came back for me. I want to keep it going, the work that I did here before, for the new season. I have received many, many messages on social media from the fans. They made me feel appreciated, so I wanted to come here in this new season and give everything on the pitch,” he told the club’s official website.
Continue reading Newcastle United re-sign Kenedy on loan

Steven Defour backs Chancel Mbemba’s move to Newcastle United

Burnley midfielder Steven Defour has backed former teammate Chancel Mbemba to succeed at FC Porto. The 23-year-old has been heavily tipped to leave Newcastle United to join Porto this summer and Defour, who previously played with him at Anderlecht, believes he could make a huge mark with the PrimeiraLiga outfit.

He said: “Mbemba is a tough defender in the individual marking, he is a fast player who has passing quality and who risks going out to play from the defence, he has a good aerial game, he has talent and qualities to impose on FC Porto. I think he just could not stay at Newcastle, because they made him play right-back, a position that is not his. It was a shame. He is strong from the mental point of view and knows what he wants. He has the ability to impose himself in a club like FC Porto.”
Continue reading Steven Defour backs Chancel Mbemba’s move to Newcastle United

Rafael Benitez reacts to Fernando Torres speculation

Newcastle United head coach Rafael Benitez has admitted that Fernando Torres could be an attractive summer option for the club, though he is unclear whether the veteran would prefer a return to the Premier League. Torres built a reputation for himself during his top-flight stints with Liverpool and Chelsea, and Benitez had the opportunity to work with the Spaniard at both of those clubs.

In an interview with Marca, Benitez was quizzed about the possibility of a reunion with Torres this summer to which he replied: “I think it will be harder for him to come, not because we don’t want to. I don’t know what’s going on in his head, but maybe he is thinking about something else. It would be attractive, but Idon’t think it would be easy. At Liverpool he was sensational. Then he went to Chelsea and, although he had a bad time when he arrived, he was essential for us in winning the Europa League.”
Continue reading Rafael Benitez reacts to Fernando Torres speculation

DeAndre Yedlin Lauds Rafael Benitez After Retaining Premier League Status

United States international DeAndre Yedlin has backed Rafael Benitez to be a contender for the manager of the month after helping the Magpies beat the drop. The Tyneside were promoted from the Championship as champions last season but their chances of survival looked bleak early on with owner Mike Ashley reluctant to spend in the transfer market.

Despite this, Benitez has managed to motivate his squad through the season and a couple of loan signings in January have made a defining mark during the second half of the campaign. In a report covered by ESPN, Yedlin was pleased to have secured Premier League safety with the Magpies and insists that Benitez has had a big role to play. Continue reading DeAndre Yedlin Lauds Rafael Benitez After Retaining Premier League Status

Ian Wright Hails Kenedy’s Decision To Join Newcastle United

Arsenal favourite Ian Wright has hailed Kenedy’s decision to join Newcastle United on loan midway through the campaign. The Brazilian failed to make a single Premier League appearance for Chelsea this term, and this urged him to pursue a temporary deal with the Magpies, where he has thrived of late.

 

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live, Wright was complimentary about Kenedy’s choice, and believes he would have done the same, had he failed to cement a regular role with a top-six club, he said: “For me, Newcastle is the kind of place that, if you’re a young player at a club like a Chelsea or a Manchester City, I would do anything to get to somewhere like Newcastle. You’re playing in front of massive crowds and you’ve got the opportunity to play in the Premier League and get that kind of support behind you. Kenedy has done it – and he’s thriving on it, absolutely thriving on it.”

Continue reading Ian Wright Hails Kenedy’s Decision To Join Newcastle United

Martin Dubravka Open To Permanent Newcastle United Stay

Slovakian goalkeeper Martin Dubravka has revealed his desire to prolong his stay with Newcastle United beyond the summer. The 29-year-old joined the Magpies on a short-term loan from Sparta Prague in January, and he has since commanded a regular role between the sticks. As a result, there has been talk of him sealed a permanent move to St James Park, and Dubravka shares a similar opinion on the situation.


In a recent interview, Dubravka admitted that his future could depend on the Magpies’ Premier League status next term, he said: “Everything depends mainly on how the team finishes in the top flight or whether we stay in it. In my opinion, it will also affect my future in the club. I will continue to focus on getting as many points as possible and thus avoiding relegation. I think Newcastle will be in the Premier League, and then a permanent transfer will be possible. But as I said, I’m focusing exclusively on my performance at the moment.” Continue reading Martin Dubravka Open To Permanent Newcastle United Stay

Jamaal Lascelles confident Newcastle United will beat the drop

Newcastle United captain Jamaal Lascelles is confident that Newcastle United will preserve their Premier League status beyond the current campaign. The centre-back, who has been influential towards the Magpies’ upturn in form, believes the presence of Rafael Benitez gives the squad the added confidence over their relegation rivals.


The Magpies are currently just two points clear of the relegation zone after throwing away a two-goal lead against Bournemouth in the final 10 minutes of the game. Despite that, Newcastle’s form has vastly improved over the past few weeks, and a victory over Manchester United earlier in the month has given the club fresh belief in their relegation battle.
Continue reading Jamaal Lascelles confident Newcastle United will beat the drop

Rafael Benitez waiting on Chelsea’s decision on Kenedy

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez is reportedly waiting on Chelsea’s decision on Kenedy as he looks to bolster the club’s defence during the winter transfer window. The Brazilian has sparingly been used by Antonio Conte this term with most of his gametime coming in the Cup competitions.

According to Chronicle Live, Benitez is looking to do business with his former club with Kenedy identified as a potential recruit, who could strengthen their chances of Premier League survival. However, any kind of deal is yet to be sorted out with the Blues with Conte reluctant to lose Kenedy for the moment.
Continue reading Rafael Benitez waiting on Chelsea’s decision on Kenedy

Pogba Must Show a Lot of Consistency to Match Gerrard, Claims Benitez

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba must show a lot of consistency over several years in order to be regarded in the same breath as Steven Gerrard, according to Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez. The Spaniard had years of experience of managing the Liverpool midfielder, who is arguably one of the best in the Premier League of the recent generation. Paul Pogba may have joined United for a then-world record £ 90 million transfer fee, but he has split public opinion since then. There have been good performances from the Frenchman, but they have been for a few between.

In order to be regarded as a success in the Premier league, consistency is the key, according to Benitez. After having spent a couple of years at ways clubs like Napoli, Benitez returned to English football with Newcastle. Despite relegation from the top division, Benitez helped the club get promotion straight away. Since the return to the top flight, Newcastle have been relatively comfortable but the team lost 4-1 against Manchester United at Old Trafford. It turned out to be with customary defeat at the hands of the Red Devils – even with Benitez on board. During his days at Liverpool, Benitez had an intense rivalry with United. It was largely due to the title challenge that both teams were facing. Now, however, both clubs are at different ends of the spectrum.
Continue reading Pogba Must Show a Lot of Consistency to Match Gerrard, Claims Benitez