Rafa Benitez tried to stay grounded even after Newcastle United secured a decisive advantage in the Championship following a 3-1 win over Huddersfield Town.
Huddersfield have been seen as one of the potential title challengers for Newcastle, despite being outside the top two. Newcastle had a great opportunity to extend the lead in the Championship to six points with a win over Huddersfield. They had watched Brighton and Hove Albion suffer a second consecutive defeat in the form of a 3-0 loss against Nottingham Forest during the weekend. Finishing top of the Championship has been a priority for Newcastle ever since they were relegated last season.
This was the second relegation for the club since the turn of the century. However, they look on course to bouncing back straight away just like last time. Even though the win over Huddersfield has provided a significant advantage, Benitez dismissed talk that the club are on the verge of securing promotion back to the top flight. Newcastle have a trip to Reading in the midweek action, and it will also be a difficult encounter for the club considering that Reading have also been involved in the promotion race. Continue reading Benitez Refuses to Entertain Talk about Newcastle Promotion
The Magpies moved one point clear of the Seagulls after Saturday’s hard-fought win over Steve McClaren’s men. Sky Sports pundit Peter Beagrie believes that Newcastle United have the edge over Brighton and Hove Albion in the race to be crowned Champions of the Championship.
The two sides have continually swapped places at the top of the Championship table but it is Rafa Benitez’s men who currently sit on top of the pile.
Matt Ritchie’s goal was enough to seal a vital win over Derby on Saturday as they leapfrogged Chris Hughton’s side after they could only manage a 3-3 draw in a dramatic game away at Brentford. Continue reading NEWCASTLE HAVE THE EDGE
Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez has revealed that the Championship side is still interested in Three Lions forward Andros Townsend.
The transfer window is set to lapse next week but the coach insists that the club wants the player at Saint James Park.
Newcastle started the race in the English Championship strongly this campaign but they have been faltering in a season they are desperate to return to Premier League after being relegated at the end of the last campaign.
The Spaniard said he is looking at improving the team. Benitez wants two new additions next week but there are a lot of hurdles for the deal to happen.
“You know that I like Andros but at the moment no news. We have to find somebody who can give us some balance. Always as a manager you always look to improve,” he said.
Newcastle were involved in the transfer market during the summer where the coach made a profit of £30 million. However, with the position they find themselves now the market has been expensive to get options as they struggle to finish the season well.
He has refused to feel bad about summer additions, saying: “Everything we did in the summer was good. We are in a good position now to go forward and find the players we need.”
The club is set to sell Cheick Tiote and the club could call back Tim Krul, who is on loan at Ajax.
“Tim is a top class keeper who needed some time because he has been injured. He has been playing for the Ajax Under 21 team, so if someone is interested in a keeper then it’s always a name that people will look at,” Benitez said of the player who would be sent on another loan deal to get experience.
Newcastle United have been able to become one of the top teams in the Championship under the management of Rafa Benitez and it has largely been done to the form of Dwight Gayle.
The 26-year-old arrived from Crystal Palace in the summer for around £ 10 million and he has been one of the best players in the Championship so far. A hat-trick against Birmingham on Saturday saw the player take his tally to 16 goals from a similar number of appearances. He is the top scorer in the Championship and Benitez says that he is happy to see the faith in the 26-year-old being rewarded in such brilliant fashion.
Back when Newcastle were relegated a few years ago, they managed to bounce back straight away. It looks highly likely that the club will be repeating the same this time around as well. Newcastle have managed to maintain their one-point advantage over Brighton and Hove Albion as a result of the 4-0 win over Birmingham.
The two teams have been the high flyers in the Championship and they have opened a six-point advantage over third placed Reading.The hat-trick against Birmingham was the second of the campaign for Gayle. Benitez said that he is surprised with the player scoring so many goals.
“I knew that he would score goals, I didn’t know how many.Now I can see he will score a lot but I don’t want to say a figure.Hopefully he can score goals in every game.He is a great finisher, he has good movement and he can make the difference.If the team is playing well he will score goals, and so will the other strikers.If we play as well as we did against Birmingham and they are in and around the box, they will score goals,” said Benitez.
The Football Association has fined Newcastle United player Jack Colback £25,000 after he accepted a misconduct charge regarding soccer betting.
Colback flouted the FA rule E8 regarding betting. The rule demands that players, coaches and match officials not place any bet on results, progress or any other aspect of, or occurrence in, a football match or competition.
Colback was discovered to have broken the law on March 16 this year after Newcastle lost 1-0 to eventual Premier League winners, Leicester City. H also placed bets on the 1-1 draw between Newcastle and Sunderland – his former club.
The FA charges did not involve games involving Sunderland but those that he placed as a Magpies player. The 27-year old was not in the squad that lost 1-0 to Blackburn as he was sidelined with an eye problem. Newcastle are set to play Hull on Tuesday evening in an EFL Cup showdown and it is unclear if Colback would feature. Aside Coulback, Kyle Lafferty and Martin Demichelis have been charged with flouting soccer betting rules introduced by the FA two years ago.
The Tigers will be hoping they get past Newcastle to book their spot in the last four of the tournament.
“We have progressed in this cup and now we get to this stage it is important we maintain momentum,” Coach Mike Phelan said.
Phelan added that the players are looking forward to it after getting this far in the competition. Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez said it is a motivation to play a Premier League side despite their home advantage. He says the team has “the right motivation and the concentration to do well” against Hull and book a place in their first semi final in 11 years. Liverpool vs., Leeds is the other Tuesday EFL fixture.
The Sky Sports pundit, Danny Higginbotham believes Newcastle United are one of three Championship clubs assured to be spending huge amount of money in January transfer window
He shared that by the time the January transfer window opens, the Championship season will be more than halfway through, as the matches between now and next year are just eight, taking the league up to the 24 match mark.
The pundit believes that Rafa Benitez and the club will have a decent idea by then as to how the season is panning out and before that January window closes, another four matches will have been played, as there will be only 18 left.
Danny made known that it would be a prior surprise if the coach does not invest and sign in new players also aim at ensuring promotion, while hopefully getting ready for fresh life back in the Premier League again because the biggest challenge of course is likely to be the competition with all the clubs in the Premier League, who for one reason or another will be looking to strengthen their squads as well.
Higginbotham when asked concerning other clubs said:
“Aston Villa and Brighton will be spending sizeable money as well. You can only assume Steve Bruce agreed to take the Villa job based on guarantees of money to spend during the transfer window, despite Roberto di Matteo spending a fortune this summer already.”
Currently clear in second place with three points behind Newcastle, the South Coast club have scored nine goals less (34-25) than Newcastle and have been heavily reliant on their 33 year old loan striker Glenn Murray, who is top scorer with nine goals. Next with the highest goal is winger Anthony Knockaert, a summer target for Newcastle, with six goals.
Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez has revealed the reason why he stayed at the club despite being relegated from the Premier League.
He said that the board had given him the guarantee that he will be allowed to make changes to the club and this is why he remained at the club.
He said that the Newcastle United’s board is quite comprehensive and that they have the right desire and ambition to move the club forward. He stated that it is this enthusiasm that convinced him to stay at the club and this is why he accepted to remain as manager of the club.
Rafael Benitez said that Newcastle United was already a well-run club and already had the right persons in place. He stated that he only had to motivate them and make sure that they give the best for the club.
He said that there is some experienced person at the club and the only thing that they need is a clear idea to follow. Benitez stated that he has his own ideas about how the club should be run and he said that he would implement it gradually.
The manager believes that Newcastle United can have a good season and that they have a good chance of winning promotion at the end of the season. He said that it is important that the players give their best on the pitch in order to win games. He admitted that this is a long season and that the team will have to remain consistent if they want to have a chance to making it to the Premier League.
Benitez said that he has the ambition of making Newcastle United an established club in the Premier League and it is for this reason that he agreed to remain at the head of the club.
Newcastle United have been one of the best teams in the Championship and they look odds-on favourite to return to the Premier League at the first instance.
If they manage to get promoted at the end of the campaign, it would be the second such instance in which they have managed to return to the top division after just one season in the Championship. Rafa Benitez took a major gamble in deciding to stay at St James’s Park even after they relegation. He has been rewarded with a lot of praise coming in from all quarters.
The Spaniard has managed to win some of the best trophies in the world like the Champions League and the Spanish La Liga. However, he is also on course to winning the English Championship for the first time in his career. Still, there is a lot of time left in the season and . Benitez is confident that Newcastle will be comfortable at the top of the table. The Spaniard was able to remain calm even when the club started the campaign with two consecutive defeats. The club are now on a four match winning run, which has seen them open a one-point advantage over second placed Norwich City.
“It is fine. I was not worried about the league table before and I am not worried now.The main thing is that my players have the right mentality like they have had in recent games.They don’t need to feel anything different now, just enjoy it and try to do well. For us to play at home is nearly always the same – a lot of fans behind us in a massive stadium so it is more or less the same pressure every game,” said Benitez.
A former player of Newcastle United, Joe Allon expressed his disappointment with the transfer of French international Moussa Sissoko away from the club.
Sissoko moved to Tottenham Hotspur in a bid to remain in the Premier League after the Magpies were relegated last term.
Allon developed with the youth team at Newcastle. From the FA Youth Cup win, featuring alongside players like Paul Gascoigne, he moved to other clubs.
He was in action for Swansea, Chelsea and Hartlepool. Allon was overcritical of the move of the player, following his stunning run at the Euro 2016 campaign.
“Sissoko’s attitude during his time at Newcastle has been a disgrace – absolutely deplorable. His actions on transfer deadline day when it looked like he might be going to Everton before ignoring them were even worse,” Allon said. Sissoko moved to White Hart Lane for £30million on transfer deadline day in a surprise move, though he was linked to many clubs.
Allon admitted that Sissoko is a good player, and that he showed his abilities at the continental tournament, but added that the club “deserved better” since they only saw that kind of form twice in a season.
“I had to laugh on deadline day when one Everton fan tweeted saying that Sissoko had gone missing. Newcastle fans weren’t missing their chance with that one and many quickly replied with words to the effect of ‘He’s been missing for years’. That pretty much sums his Newcastle career up,” Allon said.
Allon revealed that he was glad that Sissoko was gone, saying he didn’t deserve to wear the Magpies jersey. He praised the club for being able to get that much in transfer fee for the player, adding that he was optimistic of the chances following changes so far.
Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez has stated that the club should not panic at this stage.
He said that it is still the start of the season and that there is still plenty of games left in the competition. He stated that he would make changes ahead of the next game because he is not satisfied with the way his team is playing at the moment.
Rafael Benitez stated that he does not understand the performance of his players on the pitch. The Spanish manager stated that the player performs well in training but are not able to replicate the same performance in a competitive game.
After the defeat against Huddersfield Town, Rafael Benitez said that it was a challenging match. He stated that they did not expect this performance from their opponents and that they were difficult to break down. However, he admitted that Newcastle did not play well and that they could have done better. He said that in the second half the players improved but it was not enough.
Rafael Benitez said that fans have the right to be worried as they were expecting more from the team. He stated that there is no reason to panic and that there is still time for the team to recover. He said that the good thing is that the team is playing well in training and that sooner or later they will be able to bring the same form in the league. He has asked fans to remain behind the team and to continue supporting them.
Rafael Benitez has said that he will assess each player individually and will make changes ahead of the next game if needed. For the time being, he wants the team to remain united and to make sure that they give their best in each match.